- Read 2 Peter 1:3-4 here. Also read Ephesians 1:3-10 here.
- If you missed Sunday’s sermon (24 August) you can listen to it here.
Since the questions last week didn’t prompt a lot of discussion, let me begin with a more lighthearted approach this week. Now that the Olympics are over, What spiritual truths can we learn from Olympic events? Eg. Paul wrote, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” (1 Cor 9:24) Can you make up some examples of your own?
This week’s sermon asked, “Do you believe that you are who God has said you are?” Ephesians 1:3-8 lists several things that God says about us: God has “blessed us, chosen us, adopted us, redeemed us, forgiven us, and lavished us with grace.” 2 Peter 1:4 says that “we may participate in the divine nature”. Do you have a favorite thing that God has said about who you are? Other examples include that we are sheep or ambassadors.
Scripture and Songs
As always, if you have suggestions for songs related to this week’s discussion topic, please add a comment.
- I Am a Sheep (SFP – First written & performed by Dennis Jernigan in 1988.)
- Something Beautiful (SFP – written by the Gaithers in 1971)
- I Want to be Where You Are
- What a Wonderful Change in My Life
- I Am His and He Is Mine (SFP)
- I Am Mine No More
- Let the Beauty of Jesus Be Seen In Me (SOC)
- His Grace Reaches Me (SFP)
- Marvellous Grace of Our Loving Lord
- Living for Jesus (SFO)
- Immortal Invisible, God Only Wise (Since we read 1 Tim 1:17 in the sermon I had to include this one)
- May I Call You Father (SFP)
- What a Friend we Have in Jesus