This Sunday we had the special event of our first Family Blessing. This involved a special prayer for the babies born in the last 12 months and their parents. The parents also committed to raising their children to honour God. Finally, the congregation committed to support the parents and do what we could to influence the children for God. During the ceremony, Ron read Mark 10:13-16, where Jesus blesses the children. What do you think Jesus said or prayed when he blessed the children? What do you understand a blessing to be?
This week’s sermon presented 3 Core Values, or Pillars that the elders have decided to focus the congregation upon in the coming months. We will use these values to evaluate the effectiveness of our ministries, of our leadership, the direction of the church.
- Personal Spiritual Growth – leading to increased involvement in the work of the church (2 Peter 3:17-18);
- Establishing a Godly Leadership that works together as a team (Acts 6:1-6); and
- Growing Numerically – by demonstrating love and sharing the Gospel (Acts 6:7).
We believe that these are fundamental responsibilities that God has given His church. Can you think of some other core values God’s church should have?
For more on this topic read another post here.
Songs and Scripture
Throughout our service this week we emphasised the need for congregational involvement in the activities and goals of the church as well as actively practicing our personal spiritual disciplines. So this week’s songs revolve around the theme of being active in working for God. What are your suggestions?
- Instruments of Your Peace (SFP)
- To the Work, To the Work (GSII)
- Living For Jesus (SFP)
- Rise Up, O Men of God
- Trust and Obey
- Work, For the Night is Coming
- We’ll Work ’til Jesus Comes (SOC, SFP)
- Everybody Said (But Nobody Did) – (Acappella on 1990 album Rescue)
- Does Anybody Hear Her (by Casting Crowns on 2005 album Lifesong)