The elders agreed to make the Lawson Road theme for 2013 “Healthy Hearts”.
It’s important in developing an annual theme that it not be too narrow. I learned that lesson when we went with “You are God’s Building” in 2008/09. It’s a good message, but difficult to maintain the creativity and freshness for a year.
“Healthy Hearts” certainly avoids this problem. The state of the heart and suggestions for caring for our hearts frequent the pages of Scripture. Although “Healthy Hearts” focuses on our individual relationship with God, healthy God-filled relationships with others demonstrate the healthy of our hearts. In God’s eyes a heart solely focused upon relating to God while ignoring interactions with others is anything but healthy. Loving God requires us to love others.
Since this is the first post relating to this theme, I thought I’d just list a few of the passages of Scripture relating to this idea. Then, as we go through the year we’ll cover some of these concepts in more depth.
- The pure in heart are blessed and will see God! (Matthew 5:8)
- A corrupt heart leads to corrupt behaviour. (Matthew 15:16-20, Luke 6:45)
- God wants us to love Him with all our heart… (Mark 12:33)
- In the Parable of the Soils the good soil represents an “honest and good heart”. (Luke 8:4-15)
- God can strengthen our hearts. (1 Thess. 3:13) I think this may become my benediction this year!
- God’s light shines in our hearts so we can shine it on others. (2 Cor. 4:6)
- We can “hide God’s word in our hearts”. (Psalm 110:11)
- Proverbs warns us to “Guard our hearts”. (Proverbs 4:23)
- Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Luke 12:34)
- God puts His Spirit in the hearts of his children. (2 Cor. 1:21-22)
- A hard heart is a terminal condition!
That’s just a few!
- How would you describe a Healthy Heart?
- Do you have any favorite “heart” verses?
- Do you have any reflections on this as a theme?